Jailbreak the Internet Browser on your Sharp Aquos
Just got a new Sharp Aquos LC-52LE830U and I am really happy with it!
The only problem is that Sharp decided to lock you out of a full Internet browser experience, and only give you access to a very limited set of Widgets. Not to sure why but definitely not a very consumer friendly policy. I just hate this new trend where manufacturers arbitrarily limit the functionality of the products we spend top dollar on.
Geting out of the Sharp Aquos Net jail is easy enough and will not damage your TV in anyway. In reality you do not have to change anything on the TV it self but as usual do this at your own risk and responsibility.
The basic idea is to use the bookmark feature to add a Bookmark to Google or any other page of your liking, so it is always accesible. From there you can then access any site you like.
Unfortunately the TV browser does not support Flash so no Youtube…
You will need:
- DNS Server (this can be done on your Internet router, Mac/Linux or Windows computer)
- Web Server
Install webserver on your laptop. I used MAMP on MAC OSX
- Create the sharpaquos folder on the web server root (/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/sharpaquos in my case)
- Create the widget_split.php file in the sharpaquos folder with the following content
Highjack one of the Aquos Net widgets by redirecting the DNS name resolution to your webserver
- We need to redirect special.accesshollywood.com to the webserver in my case 192.168.32.60
- I added a the accesshollywood.com DNS Zone to my Fortigate, and configured it as follows:
- Add the special.accesshollywood.com host and point it to the webserver
- Press the Aquos Net button on your TV remote, and access the Access Holywood widget, mine was on page 4.
- You should see the “Google” link inside the widget instead of the regular Access Hollywood widget content.
- Navigate to the Widget and Google should open on the full page, and not restricted to the inside of the widget.
- You can now bookmark the Google page by pressing the “D” button on the TV remote